This guide on how to get from edinburgh airport to downtown will show you the best options in public and private transport, to make the transfer to your hotel or to the city center.
Edinburgh Airport, located 12 kilometers west of the city, is one of the busiest in the United Kingdom despite not having any train or subway lines that take you directly to the center. However, the airport has several bus lines, a tram and a wide range of private transport that you can use to go to the city center.
Based on the time we spent in the capital during our trip to Scotland in 11 days, we have written this post about the different alternatives to do the transfer from Edinburgh airport to downtown, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. We start!
Edinburgh airport has several bus lines that make the journey to the center and to other neighborhoods of the city, among which Airlink and Skylink.
- Airlink bus: This line will take you from Edinburgh airport to Waverley Bridge station, located downtown, in less than half an hour for £ 4.50 or £ 7.50 if you buy round trip. This blue bus with space for luggage, is operational 24 hours a day, with a frequency of about 10 minutes during the day and half an hour during the morning.
You can buy the ticket at the stop before getting on the bus, located outside the arrivals terminal or book it online.
- Skylink bus: Lines 200, 300 and 400 of the Lothian company cover the north and south routes of Edinburgh for the same price as the Airlink.
Line 300 makes the transfer from Edinburgh airport to downtown with stops at Surgeon's Hall and others that you can check here. These buses are operational from 6 in the morning until 11 at night and have a frequency every 20 to 30 minutes.
- N22 bus: This line makes the transfer from the airport to Edinburgh at dawn, from 00:00 to 04:00, for 3 pounds. Among the most prominent stops is Princes Street, located near the Scott Monument.
You have to keep in mind that to pay for the Skylink and N22 bus you will need the exact amount in pounds sterling, since the driver does not return change.
For these cases, we recommend you to take money from an ATM at the airport using a card without commissions such as the N26, before using the exchange offices.
Taxi, one of the options to go from Edinburgh airport to downtown
The most comfortable way to go from edinburgh airport to downtown or to your hotel is to book this private transfer.
When hiring this service you will have a driver waiting for you at the exit of the arrivals terminal with a cartel with your name, which will take you without intermediate stops to the door of your hotel or to the city center, in less than half an hour.
It is a great option if you are a large group having a price, the 8-seater vehicle, 52 euros and the 12-seater 93 euros.
If you also plan to visit Edinburgh, making a route through Scotland can be more effective to rent the car at the airport and book a hotel with parking like the recommended Canon Court Apartments.
Once the issue of transport from the airport to Edinburgh is resolved, you can prepare your routes around the city with these guides optimized according to the days you will spend in the city:
- Edinburgh guide in one day
- Edinburgh guide in two days
- Edinburgh guide in 3 days